Tuesday, April 27, 2010

MUCHO MACHO

On an afternoon walk today, using one of the usual routes, I came upon an unusual scene. Two guys from a construction crew outside a tavern renovation project at The Rusty Nail Saloon were engaged in a non-construction activity. One was shouting to the other "No, go around the other side of the trailer. Hurry! They're going to get hit by a car!"

This is obviously serious. Here, two macho guys - construction workers, working on a macho job - renovating a tavern none-the-less and the tavern is named "The Rusty Nail Saloon". Thus, mucho macho. Back to the story.

The urgency was wrangling a duck brood from crossing a busy state highway. Here this macho guy was chasing a female duck and her ducklings back onto the curb. He even bent down slowly, gingerly cupped his hand and gently and slowly lifted two stranded ducklings onto the curb and chased them as well. I called back "Now you can add duck wrangling to your resume".

Speaking of resumes, I will be taking, in my mind, a huge risk beginning tomorrow - I am going to a Ford dealership to undertake the training to become an automobile salesperson. I have NEVER sold anything before in my life. The entire process that lead me to this point had - and still has - my skeptic's radar humming overtime.

I answered an ad in the local newspaper which wanted people to show up for interviews. I gave it a shot. I met with Tony - an Italian-American stereotype from Boston - who explained that he was the trainer. It was his sole responsibility to choose a small number of people from two days of interviews to take the three-day training course and, thus, become a certified Ford salesperson and become hired at this dealership. I was his first interview. He chose me immediately. He said I had "the look". He also said "I'm gunna make you alotta money". If he said this to all those chosen, I have no idea. So, chances are, be the end of this week I will be a car salesman. Ooh boy. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

We have lived pretty risk free for years, time to step out an take a chance like this one! You just never know what God has in his plan for us, but this seems to be part of it at the moment as far as I can tell.
I really like the duck story, wish I had been along on that walk!
Good luck today if you believe in luck and let's hope Tony knows what he is talking about!

Kim said...

I really like the duck story too. I'm glad that those macho men had a soft side for God's little creatures.

Sherri said you were going to be starting something new and different. Best of luck John. I'm staying tuned for all the details.