Monday, May 3, 2010

TO WALMART OR NOT TO WALMART

In the second time in as many months, two different Walmart stores have offered me employment. "Great! Congratulations!", you say? Well, not so great. The first one was a third shift stocker for $9.65/hr (including shift premium). The second was today as an Asset Protection Assistant for $8.95/hr. How do families make ends meet with wages like these? Even rents are in the high $500 to low $600 for decent apartments. Throw in kids and car payments and - voila - working poor. It's not Walmart's fault. It's their business model. I make more with unemployment compensation than the pretax take-home from either of these. AND, if I lost one of these jobs, the unemployment would be less than minimum wage, I fear. I've even just finished applying to four factory jobs, all paying in excess of $11.00/hr and within easy driving distance, or even local. I know I won't get any of these, but one can dream.

God has quite a sense of humor, or the devil is quite the tempter.

No comments: