Thursday, July 15, 2010

CENSUS VISIT

Today, during sweltering heat (before the cool front breezed through), a stimulus job worker (Census Bureau temp) came to the door. She had a form showing my address, but the remainder blank and stated that the Bureau had not received anything from out household (see earlier post regarding the Census). She asked if anyone - or we - lived here on April 15. I failed to ask her why that particular date was the one the Bureau used for the form, but I digress.

She gave me some schtick about her not being able to legitimize the form unless I answered the questions. I told her there were three people living in the home and that's all the Bureau needed. She said she understood, but needed more info. I reluctantly gave her my name and phone number and expected a call from a supervisor. She spent a little too much time on my porch and left dejected. I remained indignant to the end that the only information the bureau needed was the amount of people at the residence. I asked her if she had enough information, but she actually said "no" and showed me the uncompleted five-page form. During this entire tete-a-tete she said "that is your prerogative as a citizen, but I'm here to get the information". I politely refused to complete the form and told her that I would fill out the entire form when the President brought it to me.

No comments: