Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'M REALLY TIRED OF THE WHINER-IN-CHIEF

The last month or so in Washington, D.C. has been an awakening experience.  We've seen partisanism at its worst,  lack of real leadership anywhere, a press that no longer has a clue as to how to report the news and, mostly, a President who cannot and will not lead to cause a consensus, especially when it was pushed on us last voting session that he was the only person who could make this happen.  Instead of bringing the sides together, he has placed an insurmountable void between them to the point where the sides had to finally exclude the President from negotiations all together.  What a Statesman!

Since he began his presidential campaign in 2006 (or so), he has blamed his predecessor, George W. Bush, for everything from a bad economy to puppy hangnails. And, even though Mr. Bush has ceased being president in January 20, 2009, the current office holder has continued to blame the former.  So, let's give the current President credit for inheriting a $400billion+ deficit and 7.5% unemployment, not to mention a constant 9% year-long unemployment rate.  This President said he could and would "make it all better (I paraphrase)".  Since he became President "The One" has overseen a government that added some 200,000 new employees, a $1.5trillion deficit and the worst public opinion ratings for him and the Congress in history.  His own closest advisers are out of options, except, of course, to double-down on the same mistakes because the last ones were not "bold enough".

So, he takes to the air waves with a national address to whine how hard it is to do his job, that not everybody likes him and that he can't get his way, so, we, the people, but not you Tea Partiers, you're a bunch of terrorists, are supposed to tell our representatives to give into him.  "Mommy, they won't play with me!"

I envision a conversation taking place in the Oval Office sounding something like this:
  1. P(resident: "So, now that I have my new debt ceiling what can we do to reach and exceed it?"
  2. C(abinet member): "Well, we could buy an brand new bus for you, one for some of us and ten or so for the fawning press and tour the Midwest to celebrate the budget victory you brokered and make the tax payers pay for it all"
  3. P:  "Well. I like the travel and press part, but I'm not crazy about the bus part.  And why on earth do I need to visit the Midwest?"
  4. C:  "We thought of all that, but,  the accolades in the Midwest crave your presence.  And the bus worked for Palin."
  5. P: "I though I told you never to mention the 'P-word' in my presence again!"  
  6. C:  "I, apologize, Mr. President, but you needed to hear that."
  7. P: "OK, I'll do the bus thing, but for only three days.  I don't want to miss my golf game".
  8. C: "Yes, sir."
"I feel your pain" isn't even close to this President's philosophy.  What IS his philosophy is "it's not my fault, I'm only the President.  It's above my pay grade".

No comments: