Saturday, June 13, 2009

FINALLY IN FLORIDA!

After two grueling days of driving, we've finally arrived to "The Forgotten Coast"!. Friday's drive was quite uneventful. We met up with the VA's at the Alabama welcome center, then on to our Days Inn in Cullman and a dip in the pool and pizza. There was one minor "incident", I guess it cold be termed. After lugging all the bags from our car into two separate rooms, turning on the AC, etc., it was determined that our room was not cooling off sufficiently - actually, not at all. After several kicks by my lovely but frustrated wife, I emerged from the pool and proceeded o the motel office to request a room change. After that was completed, all was well.

Saturday proved different. We woke up to thunder showers an very cool temperatures, to the chagrin of my lovely wife. We drove through torrential downpours and fog, heavy traffic and interminable traffic lights in two different cities. We were at least two hours behind our usual schedule.

Once Mad-j the pack mule had completed his tasks, a trip down to the shore was in order. After five minutes sitting by the waves, I inquired "were we recently in the car for two days? One bummer did occur. I called my mother who has been caring for my ailing father who recently suffered two mild strokes and PD to let her know we had arrived safely. All she could do was sold me or not calling her before we left, like I am a sixteen-year-old leaving for a month-long trip to Europe with a friend's family. She said my dad could have died and I just left without a call. Oh, that's right, this woman does not all her children; her children call her. The call did not go well.

Anyway, the opening night beers have been consumed and the cigar smoked. Life is good

3 comments:

Verna said...

Have a great time!

Lissa said...

Nathan and I are laughing about Sherri kicking the air conditioner and "mad-j the pack mule".

Wear sunscreen - the north hasn't seen the sun for roughly 9 months.

Verna said...

Happy Father's Day John.