Monday, February 2, 2009

SQUIRREL!!!

If you've seen my second favorite Christmas movie as often as have I, you will understand the title reference. I had the "opportunity" to have a real-life squirrel "fighting" experience. Upon our arrival home from our great overnight in Brew City, we continued the festivities with my wife opening her "goodie box" (see previous post(s)). Having completed the event (my wife is the leader of the guessing contestants for this birthday season), I descended to the mancave to watch the Superbowl. Then I heard some "rustling" across the room. Having experienced a bird in the basement previously, I anticipated that. As I approached the area with my manly electric drill battery-powered flashlight, I began making noise to let the suspected intruder know who was boss. The offender scurried at my feet. Startled, I screamed like a little girl as the squirrel and I departed the main area of the basement and I ran upstairs to collect myself and to inform the women as to what had transpired. I then called a professional for advice.

Our home has a small fireplace in the mancave which is not utilized nearly as often as we'd like. We believe this is where the rodent entered. I like to think the stupid thing fell in accidentally. It would have been better for all concerned (all right, me) if the animal had broken its fool neck in the perceived fall. Armed with the advice of the contacted professional, I opened the basement window and hoped the offending rodent would leave on its own.

My wife contacted me via email today that she believed the varmint did, indeed, leave on its own accord. Good times. I've heard nothing while writing this entry.

The Superbowl was entertaining and my perfect halftime record is in tact. I've decided that the post game interviews are more inane than even the worst halftime extravaganza (including any one with Brittany Spears, any of the Jacksons, or any Diva). Though I had no vested interest as to which team won, I appreciated the game as a good competition.

The weekend in Milwaukee was super also. We ate, we visited, we drank, like I stated, a great time!

If you have a moment read a commentary by the author, actor and economist Ben Stein in the "Patriot Post" regarding the Porkapalooza our grandchildrens' grandchildrens' gradnchildren will be paying for for the remainder of the millennium. He gives statistics regarding how MUCH this could actually "help" us if it were actually used as stimulus. In a nutshell, he says that all unemployed people could be given $74,000 and those entering "long term" unemployment could receive $300,00. If this were actually passed, I'd get myself fired tomorrow! I'm sure we all would.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Very funny post. I laughed when I read how you screamed like a little girl. I heard that scream! Another experience to chalk up! That basement always holds surprises.

Kim said...

Good post! I pictured it all quite well in my head. Glad the squirrel was smart enough to figure out how to get back outside.

Verna said...

I really laughed at your post. But also want to say how lucky you are he left on his own accord. I know a gal who left for vacation and when she came home they found the squirrels had made themselves at home upstairs in their house. Chewing thru tupperware and making one heck of a mess. (Insurance didn't cover the vandalizm they did). So YAAA For the fact that he left without you having to use other measures.