Thursday, December 3, 2009

LET IT SNOW - SOMEWHERE ELSE!

The first snow of the season is always a time of mixed feelings. The first few flakes gently drifting from the sky and lighting on ones eyelids and dark clothing causes reflecting of childhood memories of winter storms, ice skating, sledding, hot chocolate, caroling and snowball fights. Then, as the snow fall intensifies and one realizes that this could accumulate, different memories bombard us - traffic tie-ups, cars in the ditch, fender benders, black ice, shoveling, slipping and near-falls. Today, I had both of these, though the former was very short-lived. My wife's blog (see the "Grandmaville" link below) characterizes this well. My experience his evening was mostly the latter. My normally unenjoyable homeward drive on Madison's Beltline Highway was more than doubled in time as the two inches of snow was treated as nine as it was the first and the temperatures fell quickly.

I HATE MADISON DRIVERS!!! They are normally bad, but in bad weather they're worse! After about a mile of 60 mph, the remainder of my drive was mostly in a low gear, and the fastest at any time was 35mph. While the pavement was slick in spots and snow covered out side of travel lanes, there was little else to cause this crawl except for lack of confidence in their own driving abilities worsened by the inane repeating of "stay off the Beltline" by the traffic reporters. I was yelling at the radio for them to shut up already, there IS no alternate route around Madison! I guess they could not hear me.

Snow- bah, humbug!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I feel your pain. I was worried as I waited for your arrival since you are like clockwork. I wonder if liberals are worse drivers than conservatives? Perhaps now that you are done with your Buick/old people study, you could pursue that study.

Verna said...

I keep saying, one day closer to spring.

madj said...

Sherri, that study is totally unnecessary. Prius drives and those with the "coexist" bumber stickers are the worst.