Sunday, January 18, 2009

ALL BHO ALL THE TIME

It's inauguration time again. That means wall-to-wall, 24-7 "news" coverage of a non-event. To me, it's just like the halftime show during the Superbowl. I DON'T WATCH IT!

Yes, I know, it's an "historical" event this time. I've been told hundreds of times recently. Sixteen years ago we were told the first black president was inaugurated. So this is the "change" we are to expect?

After all the years I have commuted, I have never been involved in an accident with the large rats with antlers - until this weekend. My lovely spouse and I went out for dinner with friends we haven't seen in ages. The other husband drove. On the way home, on an icy highway familiar to my friend, thunk, a small deer was hit. Luckily, we were not traveling too fast and we were in an SUV (that's right Algore, a nasty SUV). UNfortunately, the SUV was brand new. There was minimal damage, considering, and the juvenile-appearing deputy said so. It is always and adventure with this pair we've known for over 25 years.

More fun was had this weekend as my younger daughter's birthday was belatedly celebrated. After a fine lunch at a nice downtown-Milwaukee yuppie restaurant and some fine cigars and conversation with the other men, we (my spouse, her brother, niece and mother, the celebrant and her husband) all repaired to the apartment she and her husband share in the west side of the brew city. Wii was played, cake was served and gifts were opened. A typical American birthday celebration.

Enjoy the human-induced warmer weather this week, I will!

An addition is necessary: Pittsburg Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals in Superbowl XVIII. Two storied franchises. Maybe the media will compare Arizona to "The One" as an underdog story. Remember, you heard it here first!

1 comment:

Verna said...

We will probably watch taped programs the next couple days in the evening.

Yes, it tis a bit warmer today, but tonight now it is snowing.