Wednesday, January 21, 2009

NEW PRESIDENT - LET THE CHANGE BEGIN

Well, we have another new president. As usual, no coup, no violence, no back alley deals (that I know of) were perpetrated to arrange the outcome. Only the main stream media was complicit in the outcome - on BOTH sides.

While I understand the historic implication of this election, I am still having a rough time wrapping my head around the messiah complex given our president. Why does he get a pass on spending over $150 million on his inauguration (coronation?) when there are two wars being fought overseas, the economy is in tatters, people are starving and the earth is about to melt, when the last inauguration was lambasted for the exorbitant spending of $43 million (paid by donors) and similar problems were said to be occurring? During a another similar time in our history, another president served cold chicken sandwiches and our current president is being compared to the latter, so, what gives?

I've made the loser leap and joined "Faceboook", mostly because my lovely spouse a daughter, nieces and friends are "on" it. Oh well, welcome to geekdom 2009. I am not really into all the nuances, but I can see value in staying (or getting) in touch with others.

We get to granddaughter sit again this weekend. Her Papa has a gig with his "arena rock" style band (Spin Spin Coupling, they have web site) of thirty-plus musicians with PhD's and her Mama is joining him as a groupie. We get to "sit" while the parents rock out. I like the music, the band members and their wives and families. They've played at both daughters' weddings. Good times!

2 comments:

Courtney and Paul said...

Good point about the spending component to the inauguration. I had not heard that piece. I shall investigate. Okay. That is IT for politics for me - just wanted to let you know it was well stated.

Looking forward to rocking out. See you Friday!

Sherri said...

I am also just holding my breath for all the change and the hope, let's not forget the hope! In the meantime let's just keep buying those lightbulbs with the crazy wattages! We put our hope in our lightbulbs!