Tuesday, April 28, 2009

NOT A PLEASANT NIGHT

Last night was the annual budget meeting at church. I have been involved with this process for almost thirty years and, for the most part, it is relatively painless. Last night was painful. Our church, like most others and most of the country in general, is having financial trouble. The men in charge made as many cuts in the budget as they could without harming any necessary programs, especially our school, the backbone of the future of this congregation. There, however, was a exception to the last statement. It was determined that, after all the budget cuts were made, a full-time staff member had to be "let go". I must say here that the people charged with making the recommendations for this action, for the most part, are not familiar with nor accustomed to this type of decision making. Having experienced unemployment twice in the last two years myself I know this was not pleasant for anyone.

All this being said, the tension in the school cafeteria (the meeting site) was thick. Generally, this meeting may have forty Voters present (men only-the reason is Biblical and I cannot explain it satisfactorily. I merely live by the rules). This night, the room was full. Even my wife attended - for the first time. All the decisions to be made were published and in the open for all to see. Anticipation was the rule of the night.

Good discussion ensued on all items of the recommendations for the budget cuts. I usually get verbally involved in these, mostly because of some technical point I need clarified (or I think needs clarification), but I, personally, was satisfied with the proceedings, technically, that is and I kept my fat yap shut. The discussion did not get heated nor antagonistic, though it could have should the original staff reduction been forwarded as planned.

All-in-all, while morose, the decision was the correct one, even though the person being "let go" was a faithful servant of the congregation continuously for over thirty years. I feel I am able to call him "friend". Even the congregation's President, another friend and a life-long member (it actually could have been me up there as I was offered the position on the same night he was) got choked up and teary, which, of course, caused a similar reaction in me.

There is some good in all this. One is that it proves that when money cannot be raised to support programs your organization deems necessary because there is no unlimited funding source (U.S. Congress, Wisconsin Legislature) only item cuts can and must be made, as painful as they may be. Another is that we are reminded of the love of our Creator and how fickle this world is and how much closer we are to the next.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Nice post!

Kim said...

Very well worded. Sorry about the necessary decision that had to be made by the church.