Tuesday, November 24, 2009

THANKSGIVING - 2009

Turkey time again! The usual trimmings will once again be present in our house, though the gathering a little smaller with the VA's absent as well as N. Miles. Even the Slackers are participating with a visit to the (former) Motor City and another possible loss to a much lesser opponent. Let's hope tryptophan does not affect the men from Green Bay before or during the game.

As I age, I find myself appreciating the meaning of this holiday more. Maybe it comes with maturity or from more upon which to reflect, but I am more contemplative. I thank God every day for my blessings which are too numerous to itemize, just suffice to say that God has blessed me, as he is wont to do, way beyond my deserving. A brief general list: I have a healthy (for the most part), loving, intelligent, humorous family. I've been placed on this earth in this place at, this time only by God's grace. I have a job I like, which two years ago I did not have, again by God's grace. But the greatest gift is His love with the gift of a Savior. The Calvinist pilgrims of the first Thanksgiving new this, as did our founding fathers 150-or-so years later. Insisting it was worth future generations to know it, the writings from both of these groups reflect that homage and their devotion. They were especially specific in invoking God's countenance on their forming their respective governments in their official founding documents.

It behooves us as their heirs to respect the insight of these devout people and insist in our current representatives at all levels do the same. Happy Thanksgiving and God bless America!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I am finally catching up with all your past posts that I didn't realize were there!