Saturday, December 6, 2008

Good afternoon dear reader. It is Saturday and there is more snow on the ground and lots of great college football on TV. I'm keeping track of the Army/Navy game. Army is down 17-0 at halftime. Army has a new wrinkle to their unifroms, comoflage. The helmets, pants and numerals all have it. It looks pretty cool. The helmets resemble those worn in the field.

The president (NOT the president-elect) visited both lockerrooms before the game.

I imagine the first visit of the next Commander-In-Chief going something like this:

"Ya know, uh, uh, uh, now men, I, uh, um, the ah, um, policy of my administration, ah, um, as you may know, is that, uh, we uh, um, are not to be aggressors. We must, ah, um, be, ah aware that ah, um, ah the other side has um, ah, feelings, too and ah, um, we cannot, ah, um force our views on others, so, ah, um we will retreat whenever, ah, we are forced to uh use ah....force. So, again, if uh, um, you find yourselves, ah in the uh in a um position of ah in a better um, ah position, um, ah, remember, ah men to um, allow ah the other side to um, ah attain a ah similar, uh position. Uh, good luck to all of you."


What is it with the word"cute"? I believe it is way overused toady, especially when refering to old people, like me.

Meriam-Webster dictionary says: "1 a: clever or shrewd often in an underhanded manner b: impertinent , smart-alecky 2: attractive or pretty especially in a childish, youthful, or delicate way 3: obviously straining for effect.

That's right, I actually looked it up! So, be wary of how "cute" is used when applied to you.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

I totally agree on that overused word "cute". I cannot imagine anyone ever calling us a cute couple, can you? I use cute for my Preschoolers clothes and sometimes for something they do but I don't think I would be using it if I worked in a nursing home, but then I wouldn't be working in nursing home. Funny about the president elect.

Kim said...

I have caught myself saying cute three times this morning and thought of your blog and the overuse of the word. I will try to expand my vocab to better describe things previously called "cute." Now you have me thinking.....