Friday, May 15, 2009

DYING AT MY DESK

I got confirmation today on my oft-stated "I can't afford to retire, I'm going to have to die at my desk". As of right now, social security, you know, the unconstitutional federal retirement payment plan devised during the FDR administration, is finally at the point where it is paying out more than it takes in. By 2017, a mere eight years from now, the fund will be entirely bankrupt. I'll be sixty-two. Do the math.

You see, this could have been dealt with during the Carter administration, but he was too busy developing "stagflation", gas lines and the U.S. Department of Education. Reagan attempted a fix, but, because he had a Democrat congress, zip. Bush the elder, Clinton and Bush the evil (as my liberal friends think of him) had similar success. Now that we have a savior in the Oval Office, a man who has super-human abilities, the intention, I suppose, as is his only plan of action, is to spend our way out of this problem also. Look what his spending has accomplished thus far.

Anyway, with the latest economic downturn, my IRA taking a 50% hit and a recovery really distant, I have little hope to retain my accustomed lifestyle, and you all know how extravagantly I presently live, especially while earning the same amount I did nine years ago. At least I have my health...so far.

5 comments:

Sherri said...

And you have me!!!! Don't worry our kids will take care of us!

madj said...

Funny!

Lissa said...

If by "kids" you mean Courtney and Paul, you are right. No room for you in this one-bedroom apartment and we are NEVER leaving.

Verna said...

Crazy that he should say, Dying at his desk..... I have always said I don't want to work so long that I die at my desk.

I know what you mean about no money and retirement. I figured I would have to buy a travel trailor, pull it from walmart to walmart and stop by friends and family for my hot showers.

Perhaps even getting a job, "Welcome to Walmart", at least I wouldn't have to really think about what I was doing.

Kim said...

I think there is plenty of room at the Hunter Bed and Breakfast even if it is just a one bedroom. They have that handy murphy bed for the living room area.