Sunday, May 31, 2009

FIRST PARENTLESS OVERNIGHT

What a good day-and-a-half! Courtney and Paul had a good time at her friend's wedding reception and their fifth honeymoon. We got their wonderful daughter for the entire Saturday afternoon and night and Sunday morning and early afternoon. Her parents arrived at about 3:00pm and we went out for ice cream at a local parlor famous for its fare. And they even decided to stay an extra night!


My Saturday began with drizzle and a two-hour visit to Farm & Fleet as I needed to have an examination of my Kia for the wheel alignment I suspect it needed. I wanted to drop off the bags of lawn waste accumulating in my garage at the city waste site, but with the drizzle, that was not going to happen. Anyway, once I made the arrangements for the inspection, I was told it would take an hour as they use the first-come, first-served practice of customer service. With the kids ETA at around 10:30 am, this was no sweat.


So, an hour later, they told me they were able to service the car. I was prepared to make the service appointment for Friday as I was told that alignments could be scheduled only for weekdays and I have already arranged for Friday as a vacation day for our father's day with the Hunters'. Then I was informed that the alignment could be undertaken this very morning, I reaffirmed the price, and that of the new tire and inquired as to a time estimate for the service. I told them I did not want to spend all morning with them (it was now 9:20). I was assured that the service would take "an hour, tops", so I agreed to wait and have the alignment completed Saturday, even though time was a little tight.


Surprise, the service did actually take only an hour! The total cost, however, was a little higher than we planned, and I was apprehensive to inform my better half to this fact, but the service was completed and Friday was now entirely ours.


Just as I arrived home, the better half reminded me about two DVD's we rented the previous night, after a brief sigh regarding the fee. I returned them immediately to attempt missing the kids' arrival. The kids were very close to their ETA and the Tizu time began. The women attempted to force the child into her new swing (see previous post). It didn't "take".


The kids took off for their overnight and we served Tizu her lunch. We played in the yard with bubbles and sand and then nap (the child, too). While touring Farm & Fleet for two hours, I made mental notes of some items we may want in the future. I told Sherri about $2.50 sand. It was back to my new BFF for more sand. After nap, off to the park playground and to feed the ducks.


We kept her up until about 9:00 and I came downstairs, Tizu and I fell asleep about 10:00 or so. During the night we noticed that this 30" tall child accounted for 1/3 of our king-sized bed. My wife accounted for 75% of the remainder. I actually slept quite well. Little One slept until after 7:00 when she awoke stating "peanut butter".


We all roused, had breakfast and readied for church at 9:30. She was good in church. After church My 16-year-old niece Mallory was assigned the task of getting Tizu into her new swing and pushing her in it. Success! What a wonder she is with this second cousin of Tizu! Now we could hardly get her out of the swing. We made another trip to the park , but the playground proved to be slightly crowded and a bit too warm, so it was on to duck feeding then back up the hill for some fun in the sprinkler. Mama and Papa arrived around 3:00 and we went to a local landmark ice cream parlor. Tizu fell asleep on the way home. Papa went to bed with her while all the ladies went swimsuit shopping for our upcoming trip to our beautiful St. George Island. My task was to wake the sleepyheads by 5:30. Tizu fought waking almost as hard as she usually fights sleeping, but Papa got her to come around. After putting the Little Sweetheart to bed, the day ended with an Animal Planet program about killer catfish of the Amazon River. Great family viewing. By the way, all this frivolity was accomplished with the 2-1/2-year-old's pants remaining dry!

The next time we see them, the VA's will meet us at our usual Day's Inn in the dry Cullman, Alabama on the final leg of the car trip to St. George Island.

No comments: