Thursday, May 7, 2009

SPRING HAS TRULY SPRUNG

This evening was the first lawn mowing of the season. I truly dislike this task. It's almost as fruitless as snow shoveling. The usual dandelion crop was, to my great pleasure, a dismal failure. I also treated them, so, hopefully, they will not reappear.

Sherri got her first round of flowers planted. I didn't even need to help. Her big beautiful mother's day dahlia lost all its petals after a rain last night. Luckily, there are some more buds on the plant.
______________________
Last night there was a curious event on the usually quiet Highland Avenue. I was watching TV in the man cave when Marge descended the stairs relating a story about a big commotion occurring down the block. I turned off the TV and the computer and ascended the stairs to have a look for myself. As I peered out the kitchen window, I observed a fire engine, with the lights rotating, right in front of the house. Marge insisted on telling me, more than once, that it turned around in our driveway. Looking down the the street northward, I saw a police squad car also with full lights. I observed that a bronze Honda/Nissan/Toyota was nearly sideways and the left quarter panel into a neighbors pickup right behind the door. It appeared that the car's airbag had deployed.

Marge stated that she heard a loud bang outside just as the incident occurred. This I thought was one of the most curious things as Marge's auditory prowess leaves something to be desired.

As we watched, an unmarked car arrived and a young woman exited. I assumed she was a detective. At this point I was wondering where the driver of the car was. That's when a second squad appeared and this uniformed officer proceeded to search between and behind the houses, ours included, while shining her flashlight. This, finally, roused Sherri from her slumber. Her second thought was that she would have trouble returning to dreamland. Not the case.

Anyway, as I was preparing to mow the lawn, I spotted a pair of powder-blue shoes in the yard. They did not belong to anyone in this household. We assumed they belonged to whoever fled the scene of the accident. See, curious.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Entertaining post, I liked it.

Kim said...

Very interesting story of events. Will you be giving the mysterious powder blue shoes over to the police or will they become Sherri's mother's day gift? ;o)
Glad spring finally made its way north. Clay has had to mow 4 times now and with all the rain the grass is a jungle in days. Enjoy your weekend John!